Recently, police accosted CNN reporter Don Lemon as he was filming live in Ferguson Missouri. “I think we’re about to be arrested because we’re standing on the sidewalk,” Lemon told viewers as an officer began to push him and the rest of the crowd back with arms outstretched.
Lemon attempted to ask why they were being moved, as they had been gathered at that spot for hours–but the officer could not be bothered to answer. “Now you see why people are so upset here, because we have been here all day. They moved us here and told us this is our location and now they’re doing the same thing to the people, so we’re on national television, so imagine what they’re doing to people where you don’t see on national television, the people who don’t have a voice like we do,” Lemon explained.
This particular officer’s name is Dan Page. Page, a former Green Beret, is a Vietnam Veteran who retired from the military in 2012 and then joined the police force. User 951-Riverside at Democratic Underground located and posted an interesting video of Page speaking to a group of right-wing extremists, and what he had to say reveals a lot about the police handling the Ferguson protests.
In his hour-long racist, birther rant, Sgt. Major Dan Page (Ret.) shared his insight with a crowd of “patriots.”
Page spent an hour whining about black people, the LGBT community, FEMA camps, President Obama’s and birth certificate, and an evil plot to institute martial law and rewrite the Constitution. Here are some highlights:
- About a minute in, the hate already begins to show as he explains that all men are created equal. “That does not mean affirmative action,” he says.
- At around 1:20, he says “We’re all equal. God does not respect persons–so we have no business passing hate crime laws–NONE–because we’re setting aside a group of people special. We got a Supreme Court out of control with the laws on sodomy and that’s what they are. The word gay just means happy. It does not mean ‘wrong.’
- At around 3:20, he explains that the Bible is the foundation for the Constitution, adding, “I don’t know what them black little perverts don’t understand down there. But they need me to talk to them. I’ll square them away for you. Take me about a minute.”
- At around 15:40, he explains that “There are four sodomites on the Surpreme Court.”
- At about 21:30, he explains to the crowd that the public school system is going to place our children in camps, rarely allowing them to return home, as they train our kids to spy on us.
- He explains that President Obama is an illegal alien from Kenya at around 26:40. “Now this here is Kenya. I had my own airplane…” He says that he visited because his “undocumented President” is from there. “So I flew to Africa and I went to our undocumented President’s home. He was born in Kenya.”
- 31 minutes into his rant, he lets his Islamophobia fly. “Do you know how the Muslims take care of you? They cut your head off. Obama is allowing hundreds of thousands of Muslims to come in ever week…Muslims are passive until they gain parity with you or they exceed you in numbers–and they will kill you.”
- At 35:50, he explains that there is “no such thing as an Executive Order.” He says that he left the military because “I’m not going to obey an undocumented President.” He tells the crowd he took two years early retirement because he did not want to obey Obama’s orders.
- At 51:45, he says that “The EBT cards are going to shut down. Can you imagine what’s going to happen to North St. Louis and St. Louis County when the EBT cards go down? When the ATM machines don’t work?” Rioting, of course! “When the inner cities start to ignite, people are going to start killing people they don’t like.”
At the end, he was presented with an Oathkeepers badge. “Wouldn’t that look good on his St. Louis County police uniform?” the man asked as he presented the badge.
This is the sort of person interacting with the largely African-American protesters in Ferguson, MO.
Think about that.