Don’t bother watching this video if you live in India, Israel, Japan, Taiwan, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxombourg, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, England, Wales, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium, Portugal or Spain. Because if you live in any one of those Democracies, you already have healthcare provided by the State. And not a one of them needed to fight an insurrection of Right Wing fascists embedded in its government to do it.
But if you live in THE BEST DAMNED COUNTRY IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! then you might want to take a few minutes to see how the Affordable Care Act really works. Especially if you live in Florida. Hell, it’s not like they’re putting any of them evil Navee-Gaders in the Health clinics.
Among other thing, the video covers the three primary “legs” of Obamacare. (A word which, it must be mentioned, has been proudly stolen from those who once used it pejoratively. There’s another work like that in American history, but it escapes us right now.)
These are the basic rules that give Obamacare its backbone.
- Guaranteed Issue: Nobody can be denied coverage, even if they have a preexisting condition
- Community Ratings: People should all be charged about the same amount, regardless of any preexisting condition they may have.
Obamacare uses a cash penalty to get healthy people (and psycho Teabaggers in Kentucky) to buy insurance in order to cover the cost of care of the sick ones.
- Penalty: The penalty is $95 or 1% of the person’s income, whichever is greater.
The subsidies exist to help people who can’t afford either the penalty, or who can’t pay the insurance premiums.
- Eligibility: If you make 400% of the poverty line or more ($46,000 for a single person, $94,000 for a family of four), you’re eligible for assistance in the form of a government subsidy.
There’s a fourth set of factors involved here as well, and those have to do with people that Obamacare doesn’t much affect.
- Age: If you’re 65 or older, you’re covered by Medicare. So absolutely nothing changes for you one way or the other. No insurance shopping, no individual mandate. Nothing.
- Already Insured: If you’re one of the approximately 80% of people who are already covered by insurance through an employer, the VA, or you’re 26 years old or under and still on your parents’ insurance, this probably won’t affect you at all.
- Poor People: If you live in most civilized states, and you make less than 133% of the poverty like, you’ll be covered by Medicaid. Which is completely free. Some states aren’t participating in the Medicaid expansion, because they’re run by bunch of complete ass-hats who don’t want to get reelected.
So, that’s the basic rundown of the Healthcare plan that Teatard Todd Rokita called “one of the most insidious laws ever developed by man.” Granted, we’re not exactly fans of it either, since a single payer or universal healthcare option would be FAR preferable. Hell, if India, Belgium and Austria can do it…
Oh, that’s right. They don’t have the Tea Party in Austria. But you know what they DO have?