Conrad Barrett, the 27-year-old white man charged with allegedly hitting a 79-year-old black man in a game of “Knockout” has been denied bail. Prosecutors say the attack was racially motivated.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Frances Stacy, the judge who denied the bail, said Barrett is a flight risk and a danger to the community. George Parnham, the attorney representing Barrett, was not surprised. “We were expecting that decision,” said Parnham.
The federal complaint against Barrett states he recorded the incident on his phone, looked for the “perfect” victim, calling his selection a derogatory racist term.
The victim, so far unidentified, was hospitalized for four days and had surgery to repair his broken jaw.
Knockout is not a new game, dating as far back as the 1970’s, where victims are targeted by race for unprovoked, surprise attacks.
Barnett has been diagnosed as having bi-polar disorder, and is taking lithium in detention. Parnham said to Associated Press reporters Thursday “When you start peeling back the layers of the onion and look at the mindset behind the action you soon realize there’s a mental issue.” He also said he “feels horribly sympathetic” for the victim.