As of about a year ago, about 92 percent of Americans favored universal background checks for gun purchases. It’s probably fair to assume that West Virginia multiple murderer and convicted felon Jody Lee Hunt was of the remaining 8 percent. So too, likely, was the person who sold him the gun he used through Facebook.
Last week, Hunt murdered four people in West Virginia on a vengeance-fueled rampage. It left his ex-girlfriend Sharon Berkshire, her new boyfriend Michael Frum, a rival tow-truck operator named Douglas Brady, and his own cousin, Jody Taylor. Hunt’s ex had apparently cheated on him numerous times, with several people (according to him). One of them was his cousin, Jody.
Hunt led police on a manhunt for several days. After posting several Facebook messages, he left one final plea for understanding, and for his dogs.
“I except my actions were wrong but in my eyes just. So I will leave this world as others did. May your saddened hearts be replaced with hate for me. Please take care of my dogs.”
Police found him dead in his truck some time later, an apparent suicide.
This wasn’t Hunt’s first run in with firearms, mayhem and violence toward girlfriends. Berkshire herself had twice filed for restraining orders against him. Once earlier on in their two-year relationship, and again after she broke up with him the last time.
Not without reason, either. In 1999, Hunt was arrested after holding his estranged girlfriend hostage at gunpoint for hours in an abandoned auto parts factory. He surrendered, and served three years in prison for it. And that wasn’t even the only time he’d abducted a girlfriend and held her captive.
Ahh, romance. West Virginia style.
Hunt wasn’t allowed to own a firearm under WV law because of his prior convictions, and because he was currently on probation for trespassing and theft from Pennsylvania. Still, he managed to obtain a gun.
The unnamed seller was a Mononaglia County man, who’d advertised it for sale on Facebook. The ATF found him after tracing the gun back. But, since there’s no requirement for background checks in private sales, the seller will not be charged with enabling the murder of four people.
We’d imagine he’s at least 8 percent proud.
Hunt and Berkshire
H/T: Fox News. No, seriously. Speaking of 8 percent…