Oh, Lord. Well, it’s officially two days-ish since the Affordable Muslim Act hit America like a Kenyan Marxist bomb. It’s been all over the news, all over the internet. Even AATTP ran a story on how Obamacare works…and somehow, people still don’t get it.
Of course, they KNEW people weren’t going to entirely understand the program; that’s the idea behind the navigators that aren’t permitted to operate in Florida’s health clinics. But even so, it’s hard to imagine that an issue that sits so close to the white-hot center of America’s Republican Crisis is still so misunderstood. Bill Maher’s team took to the streets of New York on October 3rd, just to get a feel for how educated the American public was about the program.
The results? Well…they’re about what you’d expect for anything education-related in America these days; somewhere between Zimbabwe and Bolivia.
INTERVIEWER: What do you think about the Affordable Care Act?
- “I think it’s …I think it’s affordable.”
- “The worst thing about Obamacare…is the first name. Obama. Why did he name it after HIMSELF?” (Prior to Obamacare, there was Clintoncare…a term coined in the 90s. When Hillary ran against Obama, she used ‘Obamacare’ to describe his ‘inferior’ healthcare plan. Republicans picked it up as a pejorative, and Obama began taking it back when he countered to Romney during a debate, “Obama DOES care.”)
- “Obamacare? I think he’s a stupid motherf***er.” (Preach.)
INTERVIEWER: What are you hearing?
- “I’m hearing that they trying to take $80 a week out of peoples’ check.”
- “The Muslims are exempted are exempted from Obamacare.”
- “All the illegal aliens are going to get healthcare…that’s what they say. I don’t know.”
And what was Fox’s contribution to the education pool? About as deep as Glenn Beck’s contribution to the gene pool.
- “Fox News says that there’s going to be death panels to decide who lives and dies.”
- “The death panels are basically…they’re going to get to a certain age, and insurance is just not going to cover you, or you’re going to be left on your own.” (Actually, you’ll be left with Medicaid and Medicare. Which, yeah…is pretty much the same thing as being left to die.)
And now, let’s here from the acolytes over at Alex Jonestown.
- “It’s so Big Brother can keep an eye on you at all times….they want to [put a chip in my arm]. That’s what I’ve heard.” (from the Lizard Men)
- “Obamacare for me is that medical chip that they’re gonna put in. It’s a CHIP that they’re gonna put in. It’s about…about this big” holds up fingers an inch apart “that they going to implant it in your skin. And when you go to doctors they’re going to scan it like a credit card.”
INTERVIEWER: You’re sitting here, in the center of the media universe, and you’re telling me that Obamacare’s going to put a chip in your body?
- “I don’t know how you don’t know about it, but it’s…it’s in the news…” (Infowars is “news” like this isn’t a tragedy.)
INTERVIEWER: Do you know anything? Tell me the truth…do you know anything?
- “Uhhh…not really.”
- “… … …” [silence]
So, the residents of New York are a wee bit under-educated about the Affordable Care Act. But at least one guy understands every last thing you need to know about it.
- “Nobody really knows what it is. Of course, it’s named after him, so they’re not going to like it.”