A New Orleans Mother’s Day parade was interrupted today by a shooting that left 12 people injured, including a 10 year old child. While there have been no fatalities confirmed by the local station WDSU, reports are still coming in and will be updated. (UPDATE – Police have now confirmed 19 people injured and none of them appear to be life-threatening.)
Police are asking local community members to report anything that might be related to the shooting to Crime Stoppers. WDSU reported:
Police say there were 200 people at the corner where shots rang out, and 300 to 400 people at the second line in all.
EMS took nine people to University Hospital; eight were suffering from gunshot wounds, while another was injured in a fall while escaping the shooting. Three of those victims who were shot are in critical condition.
There were about 10 cops on the scene trying to control the second line when the shooting happened. There were reportedly two different guns involved.
Police believe three suspects were involved. They were seen fleeing toward Claiborne Avenue.
RT reported a follow up to the initial reports which included several images of victims being tended to on the scene of the shooting. Early reports of how many shooters or what types of guns were used in the shooting have not surfaced yet, however the reactions to the story so far have been mostly political around gun control.
Details of the incident will be included into this article as they come in.
(AP DETAILS – UPDATE)
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Gunmen opened fire as dozens of people marched in a Mother’s Day second-line parade in New Orleans on Sunday, wounding at least 12 people, police said.
Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas told reporters that a 10-year-old girl grazed by a bullet was among those wounded in the shooting around 2 p.m. She was in good condition. He said three or four people were in surgery but their conditions weren’t known. No deaths were reported.
Serpas said that the procession had been accompanied by officers, who saw two or three suspects run from the scene in the city’s 7th Ward.
The Times-Picayune reports there were about 200 people at the event when gunfire erupted.
Nobody has been arrested. It’s unclear what sparked the gunfire.
Second-line parades are loose processions in which people dance down the street, often following behind a brass band. They can be impromptu or planned and are sometimes described as moving block parties.
A social club called The Original Big 7 organized Sunday’s event.
(CNN – UPDATE)
(CNN) — Abdul Aziz believes he was standing right next to a shooter Sunday when gunmen opened fire at a parade in New Orleans, injuring 17 people.
“Everyone around me, except me, was shot,” he said. “I was pretty fortunate to get away.”
Aziz, 33, a photojournalist, was at the parade when shooting started at the corner of Frenchman Street and North Villere Street.
“We turned off of a main thoroughfare to a smaller residential street and that’s when the shots rang out. I was standing, I believe, right next to the shooter. I saw muzzle flash, but unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to see who the shooter was,” he said.
People panicked and ran.
Aziz, who has worked in the Middle East, started taking pictures.
He sent those images to CNN iReport.
(NBC – UPDATE)
A 10-year-old boy and 10-year-old girl were grazed by bullets but are in good condition, New Orleans Police spokesman Garry Flot said in a statement. A woman and a man were in surgery Sunday evening, but there were no fatalities and most wounds were not life threatening, police said.
New Orleans Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas said there may have been as many as three shooters, and that two different types of weapons were likely used.
(UPDATE – PHOTO RELEASED OF GUNMAN)