It seems like Kirk Cameron can’t even save his most recent movie, leave off Christmas, from the forces of the market place.
Cameron’s most recent move, Saving Christmas, stars the former Growing Pains star-cum-Evangelical culture warrior as himself in an attempt to justify the commercialization of Christmas. We all know who the audience for the film really was, but the film did try to pass itself off as legitimate filmography.
Perhaps that’s why only 8% of professional critics recommend you see the film. This leaves only 92% who were highly critical of the movie. One particular review compared it positively to The Room — that is, a comparison positive for The Room, not Cameron’s movie. But still, that’s 8% of all reviewers isn’t bad (1 out of 13; it’s horrible).
Why Cameron wasn’t content with this I’m not sure — that’s still better than Nicolas Cage’s most recent outing, Left Behind, which has a 2% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes (59 out of 58 reviews were negative. . . I’m noticing a trend, actually) — but he wasn’t. And because he wasn’t happy with his Christmas present, he called out for aid on his blog, asking his readers to help him save his movie from the secular Grinches who were torpedoing it:
All of you who love Saving Christmas – go rate it at Rotten Tomatoes right now and send the message to all the critics that WE decide what movies we want our families to see! If 2,000 of you (out of almost 2 million on this page) take a minute to rate Saving Christmas, it will give the film a huge boost and more will see it as a result!
In a follow up post, Cameron celebrated the seeming success of Operation: Save Saving Christmas, but warned that atheists and “haters” were already storming the gates.
And, sure enough, the twin evils of “atheism” and “good taste” beset upon Rotten Tomatoes, driving down the audience score from 92% to a more modest 32%. His attempt to artificially game the system blew up in his face, and unfortunately, we all know that this means Cameron is going to blame it on “Christian persecution” rather than crappy film making. No room for introspection here; it’s all about the persecution complex.
And just think, if Christmas depended on Cameron to save it, maybe we’d only have twelve days of Christmas instead of what feels like twelve months.