A student at a Pike County, Kentucky high school received some extra nutrients in her lunch earlier this week. Emily Barker, a student at Belfry High School, found maggots and mold in her meal.
She discovered a maggot-covered potato. “I was like ‘oh my gosh! No it’s not.’ I looked real close and then I saw a white one, I was like yeah this is maggots,” Barker said of the discovery. The teen also discovered a mold-covered wrapper of an Italian wrap.
Barker says that a friend took the food to a school official, who refused to recognize the issue. “One of my friends took it to Coach, which is our vice principal and he was like it’s just seeds. Well for one, potatoes don’t have seeds,” said Barker.
The school claims that this is an isolated incident, and says that it has contacted its food vendor about the issue. The principal released a statement assuring parents that they care — really! “We want to assure our students, parents, and community that we in no way would have knowingly served unsafe food to any child or adult,” the Principal said.
Barker, however, does not trust the school to serve her food that is not moldy or crawling with maggots. “I will never eat at this school again. I don’t care what they change about it. I’m not eating here,” she said.
Another “isolated incident” recently occurred in Memphis, Tennessee when a student recorded a maggot crawling out of a chicken sandwich.
“A student reported that they found what appeared to be an insect on their meal. School and district staff have since conducted a thorough inspection of the cafeteria and kitchen to ensure that no other meals were contaminated. They found that no additional food items were compromised,” Shelby County Schools said in a statement.
Shortly afterward, more maggots were found in another student’s lunch.
Watch a report on this new “maggot situation” below: