What are the odds that a “trained marksman” would end up shooting herself in the leg? About 1,000 to one? Maybe 10,000…even a million to one? Pretty long odds, either way. Unless you multiply those odds by about 700 million guns, and then tell a group of Alex Jones fans to shoot them as fast as possible. Suddenly, then, you start wondering why these kinds of things aren’t a daily occurrence. (Wait…it’s coming at the end of the article…)
WSEH reports on June 16th, 2014, 40-year-old Florida woman Siegreig Betterly joined the proud ranks of social Darwinists everywhere when she shot herself in the leg at a timed shooting event at the . According to Sheriff spokesperson Gary Davidson gave the details. Evidently, Betterly momentarily forgot that, before putting your 9 mm back into the holster, it’s always good policy to take your finger off the trigger.
Fortunately, there was an off-duty paramedic on hand (which there oddly always seems to be at these things) to treat the wound. She was taken to Halifax medical center with non-life-threatening injuries. Rumor has it that the NRA has already categorized this as a “defensive gun use,” since Betterly was technically shooting at the person who was shooting at her.
What’s in a name? We think Betterly may have been destined to shoot herself in the leg, since “Siegreig” does sound suspiciously like “Sig Sauer.” But, not everyone who shoots themselves in the leg can rely on preordination as an excuse; as a Floridian gun enthusiast who’s been to the SR44 range in Volusia, your author can personally attest that a nicer bunch of responsible, second-amendment nutjobs you’ll never meet. But, the nation’s full of them — here are a few of our favorite (recent) stories of highly trained, responsible gun owners waging holy war on their own extremities, followed by the best video you will ever see:
- AATTP — Gun Fetishist Accidentally Shot Himself at NRA Event
- AATTP — Karma? At Least 5 Ammosexuals Have Shot off Their Junk Since 2010
- KOMO News — Washington Corrections Officer Shoots Self in the Leg at Practice Range
- KTXS — Arizona Man Accidentally Shoots Self in Leg at Walmart
- USA Today — Indiana Police Chief Shoots Himself in the Leg…at Gun Shop
- NJ.com — Off-Duty Federal Air Marshal Shoots Self in the Leg
And here’s the video with Derek “Tex” Grebner, ammosexual and “online gear reviewer,” having an issue with premature articulation. A clearer metaphor for the NRA, gun nuts and America’s gun fetish in general there never was.
More from AATTP about ammosexuals accidentally shooting themselves.
- Karma? At Least 5 Ammosexuals Have Shot off Their Junk Since 2010
- Gun Fetishist Accidentally Shot Himself at NRA Event
- Responsible Gun Store Employee Accidentally Shoots Himself With Gun He Thought Was Unloaded
- Instant Karma: Cop Shoots Himself While Trying To Shoot Friendly Dog (Video)
- Michigan Man Shoots Himself Dead While Showing Girlfriend That Guns Are Safe
- ‘Responsible Gun Owner’ Accidentally Shoots Himself Dead While Trying to Sell a Gun (Video)
- Safety First: Man Ends Up Shooting Himself at Texas Gun Club Grand Opening
- Holy Shot! Kentucky Man Shoots Himself In Restroom While Preparing To ‘Unload’