Ron Nelson and his wife, two middle-aged pranksters, were trying to set a cross on fire when improper ventilation caused the man to be burned over 50% of his body.
It is reported that his clothes caught fire causing the injuries. There’s no information yet about whether or not Nelson was wearing a sheet and hood at the time.
The Nelsons maintain that the lighting of a wooden cross was a “prank.” Of course any historical significance is clearly irrelevant. And don’t forget — this is Florida.
At this time, it is not certain whether Nelson’s intent was to actually light a cross with fire or just the candles surrounding it.
The matter is currently under investigation. Preliminary findings do suggest improper ventilation, which caused the explosion. Also, it appears as if alcohol is a factor.
Maybe folks should just stick to unlit figures and candy. And everyone should be aware of powerful symbols that could generate fear or anger in others.
Watch a WFTV video from the story below: