If you’d rather skip the trite, long-winded and tedious musings of Ayn Rand, this video has you covered! This gentleman says many of the things I have thought over and over again. Particularly, these points:
• Rand presents a ridiculously simplistic view of liberalism, capitalism and the world in general, which essentially makes her arguments baseless.
• Ayn Rand is a writer of science-fiction and not a philosopher, as many of her acolytes claim. If you don’t believe me, try and find ONE University course that teaches Objectivism (Rand’s “philosophy”) as a serious philosophy. I imagine if you asked a college professor why you were studying Kant, Descartes and Hume instead of Ayn Rand they would laugh you right out of the classroom.
• Objectivism and Satanism, as described by Anton LaVey in the Satanic Bible, have a lot in common. LaVey actually stated that Rand was an influence, saying, “I give people Ayn Rand, with trappings,” in a Washington Post interview circa 1970.
A few things he left out that are worth noting:
• Rand admired a convicted child-murderer named William Hickman. In her journal, Rand wrote of Hickman, “Other people do not exist for him, and he does not see why they should,” she also wrote that the he had “no regard whatsoever for all that society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. He has the true, innate psychology of a Superman. He can never realize and feel ‘other people.’ ”
• Ayn Rand, a chain-smoker and speed addict, applied for Social Security in her old age after a diagnosis of lung Cancer. While it should be noted that, of course, she paid into the system, it should also be recognized that she could have very well taken out more than she paid in since lung Cancer treatment is generally very expensive. No one will ever know for sure. Ayn Rand also applied for SS under her married name, never declaring so publicly, which indicates that she was not proud of of it and didn’t take government money on principle, as some of her disciples claim.