Imagine reaching the border of Promised Land — after barely surviving a harrowing journey through 1,500 miles of desert — only to face mobs of angry, aging white people bearing hateful, racist signs.
The the anti-immigration movement’s intensity seems peculiar, considering the fact that our country is less than 300 years old. Except for those of us with Native American ancestry, we all come from immigrants. In fact, the refugee children at our border descend from people who’ve been here longer than most of us.
Come on, America. We can do better than this.
15 hateful racist signs from the border… and beyond.15. Send them to the White House: Apparently, that’s where all the non-white people belong these days.
14. Return to sender: Lookie here! Three stupid, racist, anti-immigrant signs for the price of one. And by the way, no mom would let that guy on the right anywhere NEAR their kid’s diaper.
13. Obama for screw America: Wait, WHAT? This sign doesn’t even make any sense. Let’s just be grateful for small favors, like the fact that this idiot doesn’t appear to be packing heat.
12. Katy bar the door: Close the border and impeach Obama STAT, those refugee children are all members of Al-Qaeda!
11. They’re killing America’s future: No, stupids, Republicans are killing America’s future. And they’re doing a great job!
10. Send them back with birth control! Wait, so now you “pro-life” right-wingers want Central American women to use birth control but not North American women? Plus, if we send these children back and they get killed, how’s that different from performing retroactive abortions? Yikes! That’s an awfully slippery slope.
9. SECURE BORDER: Secure the border? In Indianapolis, Indiana? Against whom? From all those hordes of Midwestern suburbanites trying to steal your jobs?
8. Illegals shouldn’t get better care than our vets: This woman’s absolutely right. The GOP-led house needs to vote enough funds for us to care for our veterans and the endangered refugee children at our border. Oh, and for an impenetrable border fence around the city of Indianapolis.
7. It’s not about hate: Yes it is.
6. No vacancy: Didn’t a certain refugee family encounter an awful lot of these signs 2,014 years ago in Bethlehem? We seem to recall them wandering the desert, too.
5. His family did it right: And he’s got the smug, self-congratulatory sign to prove it.
4. Diversity=White Genocide: Are you freaking KIDDING me? People immigrating to our country is NOT the same thing as white Europeans invading the Americas, and murdering, enslaving, and disenfranchising the local populations. So STFU, racist haters.
3. Send them home: What do you think would happen to these refugee children if we “send them home?” Gee, you might as well just murder them right here and now.
2. No new taxes! Because preventing rich people from paying taxes is more important than helping desperate children fleeing a situation caused by our misguided foreign policy and “war on drugs.”
1. No se puede (no, we can’t): That, plus the sign that says this crowd supports racist right-wing psycho Sheriff Joe Arpaio says it all.